Sunday, January 30, 2011

I am about to watch Slumdog Millionaire.

I am afraid to watch this movie.

From what I hear, I am going to cringe, cry, and ache as I watch the experiences of Jamal in the slums of India. Even reading the reviews, I was a bit disgusted at some of the incredible violence and evil people that exist in his life.

Despite my fear, I am watching this movie in hopes of opening my inexperienced eyes to the destitution of others. I do not want to be immune. I do not want the struggles of others to pass through my thoughts as if they are just more events, just more hardships. I want to see the pain from a real perspective and experience just a slice of the hurt.

I am curious to know if the pain I am about to see is realistic. After I finish, I hope to research the slums of India, or perhaps poverty in general. I want to know what is being done about it, what the most difficult parts are, and how I can bring some of my hope to their world.

Here we go…

No comments:

Post a Comment